Thursday, April 16, 2015

Drone Flight Training Continues 3




Regarding crash at end of video:  Raw footage shows motors were disarmed in flight (RAW VIDEO).  Unfortunately, it's more difficult to determine -why- the disarmed occurred.   Originally, I was thinking I may have disarmed accidentally by hitting switch on transmitter. Now I'm not so sure.  Saw the following post on Reddit, Naze32 has unarmed mid-flight a couple of times.  Maybe a software bug.  Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase - server crash.  Software bugs and vulnerabilities of the future will be devastating and touch more than our bank accounts.

Photo: before crash (click to enlarge)
Photo: after crash (click to enlarge)

Thankfully, the crash is not as bad as it looks.  I keep lots of parts on hand but I may need a new flight camera and a new motor torn off arm in crash.  All in all, I'm pretty happy about this flight since flying has been tough for me to master.

Last updated April 28, 2015

I figured out the cause of the crash.  Turns out my Naze32 flight controller board from Abusemark is bad.  Instead of running Cleanflight I tried Baseflight this time.  During a flight yesterday I noticed some flashing of the "Disarmed" message across the magnetometer heading in my Fatsharks.  I landed the craft immediately.  I really like the Naze32 architecture but there may be some quality control issues.  To work around these I decided to look at clone boards like Dragonfly32 and Mullet32.  I ordered a Mullet32 pre-soldered with right angle connectors.  Strange to order a clone for the purposes of better quality and not cost savings.  Seems like I spend hours on the ground for every 10 mins of air.  Keep trying.


Share It!